Mediocre Mom’s New School Year Pledge 2016
It’s officially August. When I was a kid that meant one more month left of Summer. But I guess we didn’t want to share that kind of fun with our kids, so for most of us it now means “Back to School”. I was a Summer birthday myself, and never dreamed that my daughter, who was born in late August, would be celebrating her birthday in school. But that’s the world we live in now, where Target starts ditching it’s patio furniture right after Memorial Day and starts filling the back-to-school supplies bins right after Independence Day. I actually finished my shopping yesterday because I wanted to make sure the shelves weren’t completely picked over before I went.
Nevertheless, we have had a wonderful Summer and I am all pumped up for a new school year. So here is my 2016 pledge list. Enjoy!
I, mediocre mom, pledge:
- To check the kids’ backpacks at least once a week* for important papers. (*Until Easter, and then all bets are off).
- To give the kids something else besides Lunchables once per week, even though they complain about everything else I put in there. (I am still not doing bento boxes. I leave that crap to Pinterest moms).
- To sign my kids’ permission slips, school notices, pta notices, etc., on time. (The day of still counts!!!)
- To encourage my children to do all homework and projects in a happy, cheerful tone. (Except for that stupid mission project if we get it this year for fourth grade. Blech).
- To volunteer* as much time as possible to the school and pta functions. (*Cash donation may be substituted in lieu of time).
- To not complain about holidays* that the kids have off, which necessitated us starting before Labor Day to begin with. (*Does not include in-service days, minimum days, and random days that have absolutely no relationship to any reasonable holiday).
- To make sure the kids look decent* on picture day. (*Standards for decent vary per child).
- To get the children fed, dressed, and delivered to school on time and with all required paraphernalia (any three out of the four will suffice as a 75% pass-rate).
- To get all the kids in bed and tucked-in before 8:15 p.m. (especially when the Fall T.V. season starts, so I have time for my shows!)
- To keep my sense of humor when I fail at least half of these by Halloween.
I am mediocre mom!
Latest posts by Wendy Marcus (see all)
- THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH LEGOS - April 25, 2017
- Examining Equality in the Practice of Law: The Scales of Justice are Still Not Balanced - April 8, 2017
- Dear America:I think it’s time to consider a divorce - January 26, 2017